Monday, March 26, 2012

Guided Reading: Simply Explained

This article was very concise and specifically explains what a guided reading session includes. The purpose of guided reading is to have the children in small groups working on a reading strategy together. Some of the strategies are letter-sound relationships, context clues, word structure, etc. This process can be modified and can be utilized in the upper grades. The students are able to pick a book and are grouped together by their reading abilities. The goal of guided reading is effective and improved independent reading. Students get into small groups, typcially 4-6 kids and their duration of the session is usually 15 to 20 minutes. The teacher explicitly explains what strategy they are working on and what she expects from the students. This is a wonderful idea and I truly believe that I will implement it in my classroom in the future. I want to make sure that I know all of my student's reading levels and abilities in order to place them in the right reading group. Here is a link of my article:

http://olc.spsd.sk.ca/de/pd/instr/strats/guided/guided.html

3 comments:

  1. Your article sounds pretty similar to mine which is good because I was worried I hadn't found the right thing. I agree that it is very important to understand thoroughly your students reading ability in order to be able to group them accurately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that all of the guiding reading articles I have seen really emphasize the importance of the different reading levels that your students will be at. I think that the biggest benefit of guided reading is that when the students are grouped they may feel less singled out about their level (wherever it may be) if they are with other students at that same level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think guiding reading is a great tool to use with students of every ability level. Each student can benefit from small group instruction and working with other students their age.

    ReplyDelete