Monday, February 27, 2012

What is a Word?



This article told us to think about our own vocabulary. I sat and pondered and thought about all the words I have accumulated in my vocabulary. I have broadened my vocabulary by hearing different words in my environment and this makes me think about deaf education once again. It is so important that we receive our vocabulary for the most part in an auditory sense. For the children that I teach, it is best to label objects around the room and constantly use different vocabulary when I am signing. This helps them get the words visually and the labels help them put names with objects. This helps them get a sense of why words are what they are. Also for children to notice words that are often used. In my classroom I am in right now, these words are called "High Frequency Words." These are words such as "a," "an," "the," and "with." These are important words that the students need to recognize because they are often used in many sentences they produce.
Think about:
How did you acquire new words in your vocabulary?

2 comments:

  1. I have observed at TSD many times and every time I go I recognize the mass amount of vocabulary that is around the classroom. Everything in the classroom is labeled. I agree with you, this is an excellent way to teach deaf children vocabulary. Because they do not get it through auditory means, we must include a large amount of vocabulary visually. By pairing the words with the objects they are representing, deaf students can become better familiar with these words and implement them in their vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think labeling things is, yes, good for deaf students, but it is also good for students in general. Especially in the younger grades, kids are going to be always looking around. Even if they don't know what the letters mean, they can connect it to the object that is labeled and make that conscious connection. I really just think labeling is a good thing, haha. I am addicted to my label maker.

    I can't even think of how I ever learned new vocabulary in my life. I know that even today I am still learning new words though. I would assume it is mostly through books.

    ReplyDelete